Every day in business, we are all pulled in many directions, as we attempt to navigate and find a balance that supports the ambitions of our company and our team, alongside those of our clients. It is both heartening and encouraging that in the area of environmental sustainability, GSA, our clients – and our suppliers, are firmly on the same page.
GSA recognises that every business decision we make, has an environmental impact. As a team, across all our business functions – from operations to HR – we are committed to looking at how we do things, and if there is a better way. In terms of the planet, we want to minimise any environmental impact as far as is reasonably practicable.
With sustainability at the top of the agenda, and working in close partnership with many of our clients, we have identified key areas of our business where we are successfully delivering on a number of environmental promises.
Cleaning Products – Eco Products always 1st Choice
To minimise our environmental impact/carbon emissions, GSA is providing a first-class cleaning service to many of our clients using 100% biodegradable, pre-dosed, water-soluble cleaning products. The eco-credentials of these cleaning products are impressive. They deliver a 95% reduction in carbon emissions compared to traditional products, with a 90% reduction in packaging that is also plastic-free, FSC-certified, compostable, and recyclable.
Cleaning Consumables – Source and Trial Eco Options
With our team operating at over 1400 client sites throughout the UK and Ireland, we want to make sure that our procurement team is sourcing recycled and/or recyclable options when available and practicable. We’re also working with our supply chain to carefully plan specific stock levels for each site, to minimise deliveries and waste.
Machinery – Make Do or Mend Ethos
Do we need it? Can the current equipment be repaired? Could we deploy machinery from another site? These are the questions our team ask at every stage.
In the event that we need to buy new equipment,we work with our suppliers to consider refurbished equipment. We also review their policies on recycling/disposal of machinery.
Transport – Reduce Fossil Fuels and Stay Active
Currently, 85% of our company fleet is hybrid cars, with a target in place to replace the remaining 15% of the fleet to hybrid/electric by end of 2022.
Active travel initiatives, to support our teams to make more journeys by public transport will soon be offered to GSA staff. Other active travel opportunities are also under review.
Compliance & Accreditations – Always Stay Safe and Compliant
We recognise our role in delivering positive biodiversity and ecology outcomes for our people and the planet needs to be part of our sustainability roadmap. We’re pleased to share that GSA is
- 100% COSHH compliant, including the safe disposal of all chemicals.
- 100% compliant with the Government’s ESOS accreditation scheme.
- 100% compliant with all legislative requirements relating to the environment within all jurisdictions in which we operate.
- ISO accredited 14001, 9001, 45001 which forms the framework for our EMS used to ensure our business operations are sustainable.
- In our first EcoVadis sustainability assessment, we achieved a Bronze rating.
- We are signatories to the UN Global Compact.
Training – Consistency and Improvements
This year, we’ll launch our GSA online training platform, which will support our drive to deliver consistent onboarding and training to every member of our team. It will also allow us to reduce the carbon footprint of our training programme too. The platform will complement our GSA service delivery and reporting app that has allowed us to deliver service improvements and connected environmental savings for many of our clients.
Innovation – Stay ahead of the curve
We haven’t lost our enthusiasm for staying up-to-speed on new products or to organise product trials with the support of our clients – even after 25 years in business. We currently have a number of ‘planet-positive’ trials at various stages, with more in the pipeline.
Commenting on GSA’s environmental promises, Lisa Laird, GSA’s MD said:
“I’m delighted with the team’s determination to look at eco options across all areas of our business and to deliver practical, sustainable options in support of our promises.
“Environmental sustainability is possibly the biggest issue facing business and working in alignment with our clients on this is both satisfying and rewarding.”